Thursday, November 5, 2009

Research Post 11/5/09

After my midterm critique and in preparation of my powerpoint presentation, I tried to write out an artist statement. I found myself doing more external research just to write this, so I ended up not including it in my powerpoint presentation. Here it is, an attempt for me to find new leads and more information:

I have always been very curious about people’s habits. Our mannerisms are heavily influenced by our environment, culture, and time. In comparison from the past, present day society has bypassed the tendencies of the old, and has surged forward welcoming new norms and advances in lifestyle.

Last year, I worked on a conceptual piece, which addressed childhood play. I was interested in investigating traditional staples of play. This project was brought on by my own insecurities of growing up. From this artwork, I was given the opportunity to remember and relearn these activities. I also gained valuable experience and a foot in the door with youth. While I was working on this project, I functioned not only as an artist, but also as a student and a keen observer.

Although this generation shared many of the traditional games and entertainment that I had experienced, there is now advanced play technology. I researched on the Toys “R” Us website and they advertise a basic laptop being appropriate for a 5-7 year old child. Among the top selling items for a 5-7 age group are Nintendo D-S and various Nintendo games. This change to technological entertainment is mainly due to our advanced technology. What I can’t seem to ignore is that this is very wrong. As long as the human race has been on this world, children have always been encouraged to go outside and play. Books and movies have shown cultures where children frolick outside and engage in nature. This simple activity of simpley setting foot outdoors has diminished greatly. There has been voiced concerns that children drown away infront of a television or in videogames. I have always thought that engaging in nature is the springboard for imagination. I am horrified to think that children will not experience the wonders of the world due to our own damage to this planet. What could only be worse is that they don’t even care to have that experience.

However, my piece is not meant for a children’s audience. We too, are guilty of dismissing nature. Most of American society has clamored towards constructing our identities through consumption. We not only clothe, stylize ourselves but also our environment to express ourselves. I believe that the reason for this behavior is due to the exposure of mass marketing material. On the television, we watch as advertisements flash their products every ten minuets. In a magazine, you have to flip through at least 50 adds prior to an article. In our own homes, coupons and paper advertisements visit us daily if not weekly almost like viruses hoping to push their products into your life.

My artwork is a reminder to pause and examine our own lifestyles. I want this piece to convince the viewer to explore simplicity and appreciate the beauty of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment