Sunday, September 6, 2009

Artist Research: Todd Weaver

Through various recommendation links on the blog of one of my favorite photographers, Amanda Friedman, I found Todd Weaver. His website only displays his photography portfolio and a comment area, so I did some research through Google to find out more. I found an interview at Quphoto which is a web domain building website. At one point, Weaver was the featured photographer of the month.

Todd Weaver tried his hand at photography after working in LA as a lighting tech and electrician on music video/commercial sets. He has succeed in creating a beautifully crafted portfolio which shows beautifully lit scenes of single frame narratives. Weaver discusses his work in the interview saying, "I think my style is a mixture of that photo journalistic or captured moments angle, along with with a loosely directed narrative that often evokes a sense of voyeurism." He works to ensure a sense of mystery in his photographs.

I was delighted to find an entire section of his portfolio titled, " At Play." This showed adults having fun and kicking back. Many of these were taken at the beach while a few seem to be documented from a park kick ball game. In every photo, the subjects seem to be at ease and completely comfortable around the camera. I enjoy the documentary style in this series, the models' actions read as genuine and real.

Here are some examples of his work. Weaver clearly states at the top of his website that all of his images have been copyrighted. I had to use the Grab tool on my computer to take some on screen shots. I'm emailing Weaver to make sure he won't mind me doing this for our online class room purpose. If they disappear, well, then, you know why.






If you want to check out more of Todd Weaver's work...


No comments:

Post a Comment